In response to space-time environment change, to meet public demand for culture, and provide the best services, we uphold the dedicated service attitude, substantiate refinement of content, and to ensure implementation of the Cultural Center’s dual mission of “building culture, enhancing the quality of the citizens’ life.” Over the years, we also made a little change and adaptation on the hardware device:
- In July 1984, the “Cultural Center Preparatory Office” was officially established and budgeted. Various art activities were implemented (period of borrowing site to handle activities) over the same period, the original personnel, premises of “Keelung Municipal Library,” and “Folk Custom Museum” were reduced and merged under jurisdiction of “Keelung City Cultural Center”.
- In June 1986, Mr. Chen Chih-Tzu’s creation a pair of Western bronze lions was established at the main entrance of the center. (There are only two pairs in the whole Taiwan region, and the other pair is set up in National Sun Yat-sen University.)
- In November 1986, sponsored by the Junior Chamber Keelung Branch, matching with raising funds by the municipal government, we set up: Prof. Yang Ying-feng’s large stainless steel landscape work “Good Circulation” contracted by Lingyi Modeling Co., Ltd.
- In June 1988, the original “restaurant” on the first floor was demolished. “Keelung City Historical Relics Museum” was set up, which in July 1990 was renamed “Local Characteristics Museum” and open for visits.
- In March 1989, the original “periodical room” on the second floor was migrated to the third floor, “audio-visual center” planned and founded. The audio-visual center was completed and officially operational externally in February 1990, providing public recreation and entertainment.
- In March 1988, “Keelung parenting education counseling center” was established, located on the first floor on Zhongzheng Road. In May 1990, it changed names to “Family Education Service Center”; again in 1999 it was renamed “Family Education Center.” On July 1, 2001, business shifted to the Keelung City Government Education Bureau to administer.
- In December 1988, to promote the public understanding of the status of the mainland, to establish nationwide art information, Council for Cultural Affairs and Department of Education collaborated with Center for Mainland Research, in the second floor on the left side of the center, set up “the computer daily paper room”, using a computer online system to establish an “Art Information System” for nationwide cultural events. (December 24, 1988 to April 1, 1992). In April 1992, being that the phased task was completed, the “computer daily paper zone” stopped broadcast. From December 10 onwards in the same year, by the use of existing systems and equipment we set up dedicated “nationwide art information ~ voice touch inquiry system” to provide information, science and technology and art services.
- In December 1994, to enhance the cultural center service quality, and give play to hardware and software device functions again, by the ad hoc support of the Council for Cultural Affairs, Executive Yuan, we planned and entrusted to handle “The assessment on structural safety of the building” and premises renovation project. From June 1995 onward, we handled the premise renovation project, and renovated center building roof, heat insulation, and leak-proof construction in the first stage. In March 1996, we continued to handle renovation of Local Characteristics Museum, the third, fourth display room, gallery premises on the third floor.
- This city is an international port, where many foreigners are visiting. For the provision of services, especially in March 1997 we additionally fabricated English unit names on the outside wall at the front of the building.
- To enhance the professional theater function of the auditorium, we handled the auditorium function improvement project since November 1997 till May 2000, including replacement and repair of sound, lighting, stage and other specialized equipment, apparatus, etc.
- In 2004, we matched with the improvement plan by the Council for Cultural Affairs, Executive Yuan, to expand public library space operation. After the renovation was completed, this library set up a joint service counter, centralized service manpower, simplified the process of borrowing and return by providing fast, high-quality service to people. Space design inside the library is creative. Green areas and Chinese-English bilingual signs were added. In order to attract people into the library, topic books zone and current affairs display area were added. To provide the public with network queries regarding the latest information and library material and public data library, to achieve zero gap between urban and rural education resources, we set up computer information use area. Besides, parent-child reading area was specially provided in the children's room, to offer family reading, and to promote parent-child interaction. We re-planned the multimedia screening room, offering the public great audio-visual enjoyment and comfortable seat facilities. We also re-planned the placed circulation of bookcases, tables and chairs in the rest of hall chambers to facilitate the people to take and read publications. Soundproof glass is set in general reading room to offer readers a quiet reading space. The various rooms are fitted with monitoring system to provide security and convenience for the readers to carry things in and out of the library freely. This library upholds library employees’ expertise and service quality improvement, repeatedly handling study training.
- On December 1, 2004, we were restructured as the “Keelung City Cultural Affairs Bureau.”